TIPPERARY ASSOCIATION DUBLIN - HISTORY
The Association was founded in 1934 when a group of Tipperary people in Dublin got together to help the GAA in Tipperary; used meet at Noonan's Hotel in Ormond Quay
The original committee included;
- Sean Fitzpatrick (Tipperary Town) was Chairman
- Other committee members included J Kiernan, J Nash, Tom Ryan.
The sum of sixteen pounds nine shillings was collected for Tipperary GAA. Subsequent to this, things were quiet until 1945 when the Association organised a do for the Tipperary hurling team who beat Kilkenny in the All-Ireland final.
In 1984, a 50 year celebration dinner dance was held; this was attended by Dr. Morris, Archbishop of Cashel and Emly. Subsequent to this the Association gained a head of steam, its primary aim being to foster Tipperary interests in Dublin (including subsidising Tipperary hurlers who were based in Dublin). For many years, a concert was held on Palm Sunday night in the CIE Hall in Marlborough Street. The Association also contributed 100 guineas to perpetuate the memory of Thomas MacDonogh, the 1916 leader, by renovating his cell in Kilmainham.
In 1965, an annual match between Tipperary and Dublin to commemorate the Bloody Sunday match between the counties was put in train. A cup was played for on a number of occasions but it seems to have become lost in the meantime (if anyone knows of the cup's location, we would be interested to know).